Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Not so fantastic.

So there I was, at the library and absolutely thrilled to be holding a copy of the new Doctor Who Encyclopedia. I'm not a huge Whovian--those legions of fans who dissect every episode of the BBC's long running sci-fi series. But having fallen big time for the new series, I was eager to see if the Encyclopedia would help fill me in on all the lore and oddities of the original series going back to 1963, as well as give me some insight into the making of the show.

Alas, it was not to be. I got it home and soon realized, to my disappointment, that rather than being a history of the series, or even a guide to the individual episodes, the Encyclopedia was simply a collection of the most minute factoids of each episode--essentially a massive collection of trivia. Annoyingly, the book only covers the new series, from 2005 onward. Its arrangement of subjects in alphabetical order is helpful if memories need refreshing while watching episodes (in cases, I suppose, when one can't rest until the question of the Face of Boe's age is finally settled). But for the novice, it's t00 much information. To author Gary Russell's credit, each definition is exhaustively dealt with (Russell is involved with the show's script writing). The Encyclopedia is lavishly illustrated with stills from the series, some of which are better in quality than others. Each definition cites pertinent episode(s), and where applicable, which actor portrayed a character.

Still, it feels like a missed opportunity. It's really hard to imagine anyone other than the most diehard Whovians taking an interest in this particular format. Looking at Amazon, I see that there is a Doctor Who: The Inside Guide, which is probably more what I had in mind when I picked up the Encyclopedia. But that book also ignores the earlier series. Apparently it has to fall to some other entity or fan to write the definitive history of the show, as the BBC doesn't seem to be interested in doing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is SO annoying. I got this book from the library too, but with no time to read it, not even the time to watch the whole new series, how sad--I turned it right back in. Sorry you were disappointed.

I had the same experience with the book "Rome"--companion book to the fabulous HBO series. I was expecting all sorts of great Roman history facts and stuff, and all I got was tepid rundowns of each episode and (admittedly beautiful) photos of the cast. The photos were fine, the episode rehash, not so much.

Bibliomane said...

Maybe I had too high of expectations, but I think part of my disappointment stemmed from how hard the BBC is pushing the commercialization and licensing of the series. It feels more like the focus is on the hype than the actual substance of the program. Or maybe that's just snobbishness on my part.

I think it is possible to do a companion book to a popular series that actually goes beyond just a photo album. I read the fan book for Sex and the City, and while it has the episode summaries and lots of pretty pictures of the cast (doubly so in the case of SATC), there were some interesting interviews with the cast and writers, and some interesting info on the decisions about costuming, setting and the various themes that ran through that series. It's not deep by any estimation, but proof that a show-related book can be more than just a glorified DVD guide.